Creating compelling headlines & copy is a gift. And Hill Country Bible Church Austin is looking for a talented ministry-minded writer to join the innovation team. Download the details: https://bitly.com/1UUXYe8 #hiring #austin #writing
Our staff recently had the pleasure of meeting with Roger Berry, Chief Information Officer of Disney Parks and Resorts and to say the least “we have been inspired”. What an amazing experience. Just to make good use of time I am copying or “stealing” notes from my good friend Aaron Unnasch who seems to be a bit more disciplined at recording his thoughts electronically.
Comments from Roger below: (Thanks Aaron)
- At Disney, technology doesn’t make the “magic” happen, but it does enable it.
- God has given everyone the gift of technology. It is our responsibility to learn how He wants us to use it.
- When things are good, the demand for technology goes up. When things are bad, the demand for technology goes up.
- IT must have a seat alongside Finance, HR, and Marketing at the governance table.
- IT must be a part of the decision making process. If not, it is a formula for disaster.
- His 5 points of focus: 1) Stability & Performance 2) Talent Management 3) Segment Strategy 4) Total Cost of Ownership 5) New Technology & Innovation
- Disney knows everything about their customers. They are a trusted brand and, therefore, people willingly share lots of personal information.
- We are more alike than you think. Disney has Intenders –> Repeaters –> Worldphiles. The church has Seekers –> Members –> Disciples.
- You don’t have the resources that Disney has, but you do have power that Disney doesn’t have.
- I believe technology is given to us by God, but it is also a tool of the devil.
- Does your technology plan align with the mission and vision of your organization?
- Are you continually leveraging new technology?
- Will technology change your brand?
- Iteration is important at Disney. We release then release then release….improving each time.
- When I was at Campbell Soup, consultants told us that bad marketing decisions 15 years ago caused us to miss an entire generation. Don’t be late.
Who have you encountered that fits the bill of a Chief Innovation Officer and are you on the journey to take that next step into leadership? Are you truly earning that title “Innovator”? I am refreshing my vision of where I can make the largest impact and seeking God for guidance in this process. Always fun. Always challenging. Who would have it any other way.
Thanks for the feedback: Comments Welcome
Ah the good old days. Sam Houston State University. So many great memories. Got the first full-time design gig as a graphic designer with the Student Activities department. I also transitioned studies from Graphic Design to Marketing and Mass Communications and where I met my beautiful wife! Sam was alot of fun in so many ways. On the design side we really got to touch everything from; events, clubs, fraternities, sororities, recreational sports and athletics. Even cooler is SHSU has it’s own printing press, got a lot of press experience back then. Also, I have to throw in Myra and i built our first websites together I guess it was 1996 and the coolest part, the domain name registration was FREE of charge. The Internet was such a strange thing back then!
Check out that sweet logo on #32’s helmet. Yes sir. I designed that bad boy, I guess it was in 1997.
I still remember the day I found out that Sam was looking to redo their logo mark for the athletics department. Thoughts of the logo being painted on football helmets, jersies and the field was pretty cool I have to admit.
Fast-forward about 5 years and the pizza guy shows up at the front door wearing the new SH/Kat logo on his cap. That next week me, Myra, Blake and now Colby jumped in the car and headed up to Huntsvegas (Huntsville) and picked up some new gear. I am always tempted to send some apparel art and get it on the racks. Maybe we can get a design contest started for best use, most creative and most popular apparel and part of the proceeds go towards SHSU Art Program college scholarships!
link here: http://www.shsu.edu
logo here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sam_Houston_State_University